I hope I succeeded in making you hungry with this…
How good does that look omg? A PILE of rice (its red rice btw), stir-fried veggies, with the star of the show: Spicy Asian Fire Roasted Tofu. That's right, mmm, tofu never looked (and tasted) this good!
You can make it more/less spicy by adjusting the hot sauce (see recipe below), but I urge you to challenge yourself! At least don't reduce the amount of hot sauce written, and you can use more if you're brave! :p I like to use either Gochujang (Korean) or Sriracha (Thai) for my hot sauce!
Also, this is just for 1 serving as a side dish, feel free to make more to share/as a main! ;)
- 1/2 of a 14-16 oz block of firm tofu
- 1 heaped tbsp Asian hot sauce (I recommend either Gochujang or Sriracha)
- 1 tbsp maple/coconut syrup
- 1 tbsp tomato paste (or use more hot sauce if you're brave/really like spicy food :p)
- 1 tsp soy sauce/tamari/less sodium
- 1/4 tsp white pepper powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder (or grate in 1 small clove)
- water, as needed
- First you need to prepare the tofu. Drain the liquid, wash the tofu, cut it in half lengthwise. Put a thick layer of paper towel on a plate/surface, put your tofu on there, cover with more paper towel. Put something heavy (a frying pan/wood cutting board/etc) on top and let it sit for a few minutes until the water is absorbed. After that, cut the tofu into cubes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together all the marinade ingredients, add enough water to form a thick-pourable sauce consistency. Carefully (don't break the tofu haha) mix the tofu with the marinade in an airtight container/ziplock bag. Refrigerate overnight/at least for a few hours.
- Preheat the oven to 180 Celcius. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Arrange the tofu cubes (make sure none of them are touching!), spoon the leftover marinade on top of each slice. Bake for 25-30 minutes until cooked, crisp on the outside, with some caramelised parts! Don't forget to flip them halfway through ;) !
- Serve with a big pile of rice, some stir-fried veggies, and there you have a delicious & easy Asian style meal that's delicious, high carb low fat, and vegan of course <3 !
Let me know what you think if you make it! Tag me on Instagram if you take a picture!
Have a wonderful day! :D