Thursday, September 3, 2015

Matcha Mango Oats with Caramel Apples & Chocolate Sauce




My friends always make weird faces or say that oats = tastes 'too healthy' / ew / gross / etc. And then I asked them how they make/eat oats and usually the answer is instant oats / 'plain' oats with little to no sweetener and fruits… Of course oats won't taste good if you cook it that way hahah, you need to get a lil creative!

Don't worry because I'm here to help you out :p (if you still think oats don't taste good or you don't like it). I used to not like oats when I was a little kid because I was given a weird-tasting instant one on my first try and that put me off oats for quite a while. Then I found out how tasty oats can be when I 'experimented' a bit with it! I hope you like this recipe!



Recipe


For the Matcha Mango Oats:

  • 200 gr ripe mango flesh, mashed
  • 1 c rolled oats
  • 2 medjool dates, pitted & chopped
  • 2 tbsp coconut sugar (or to taste, depends on how sweet your mango is/how sweet you like it)
  • 1/2 c vanilla/original soy milk
  • 1 c water
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 tsp matcha powder (use more/less depending on how strong you like it/the brand of matcha that you use)

For the Caramel Apples:
  • 1 apple, peeled & chopped
  • 2 tbsp maple syrup/coconut nectar
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • water, as needed

For the Chocolate Sauce:
  • 1 tbsp carob/cacao powder (sift it first if it has lumps)
  • 1 tbsp maple syrup/coconut nectar
  • water, as needed


Method


Caramel Apples:
  1. Heat a small pot over medium heat. Put in the apples, add in some water just to make it a bit 'wet' (so it doesn't burn/stick to the pot).
  2. Add in the cinnamon, vanilla, and syrup, simmer on medium heat until the apples are soft, stirring constantly. Add in water whenever it gets 'dry'.
Chocolate Sauce:
  1. Simply whisk everything together, adding water to reach your desired consistency.
Matcha Mango Oats:
  1. In a pot, bring the soy milk & water to a boil, turn down the heat to a simmer, add in the oats, mashed mango, and chopped dates. Simmer until it gets creamy (to your desired consistency), stirring constantly -> I find this makes the oats much creamier.
  2. Turn off the heat, stir in the vanilla, matcha, and sweetener.
  3. Serve together with the caramel apples, chocolate sauce, and other toppings that you like! :)

I hope you can try it out and love it as much as I do! It's sooo creamy and delicious! Plus matcha and mango tastes heavenly together! You can take a picture and tag me on Instagram if you make it! <3

6 comments:

  1. Hello Chelsea! I actually a silent reader here and (finally) gonna drop some question here :) am amazed how you could be so smart at cooking and (no offense) younger than me O_O

    Just curious is that portion in bowl is how you usually eat? I mean that looks so much O_O usually I follow your instruction but left the quantity to myself and now just really curious about it :) also curious how your lunch will be like? since it's impossible to bring that kind of food to your school, right?

    thanks for always updating! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there! Thank you sooo much for the kind words! :) and yes, its a 1 meal serving size for me! Hmm, honestly, I don't eat that much at school since lunch break is sadly only 20 minutes at my school... :( I usually bring sandwiches/one of my rice dishes (see savoury section). I usually load up on food when I get home from school though eheh :p

      Delete
    2. thans for replying too :)
      20 min is so short O_O but I actually do the same thing even if my office's break time is 1 hour..I load up when I get home xD btw your chocolate sauce, caramel oats and all smoothies' recipes are my favourites XD choco sauce is the most one <3 Keep updating since I'll stalking lolol

      Delete
    3. AHA yeah.. Need to eat super fast! XD YAY I'm so happy to hear that! Glad you like them! :) hehee I will!! <3

      Delete
  2. hello chelsea, your blog is amazinggg and it really helps!:3 anyway, your pictures quality are amazing!! do you mind telling what camera do you use? thankyou x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sooooo much for the kind words dear! :) I only use my iPhone 6 camera HAHAHA *serious , I don't know / don't have big/fancy cameras :p Good lighting is key!

      Delete