Sunday, April 26, 2015

Vegan Matcha French Toast



I used to hate french toast because I could always taste an 'egg-y taste' in normal french toast, and I find that sweet egg flavour is something I don't fancy.

Then I went Vegan and made my own egg-free, plant-based french toast which tastes absolutely divine , no egg-y taste at all of course! (not trying to be cocky/overreacting here, just sharing my experience okaaay), heheh.



Most recipes for vegan french toast out there use a kind of flour + plant milk + sweetener, which is okay, but still not good enough for me! Kinda bland, not moist enough.

So, after trial and error, here's my favourite french toast recipe for you! I flavoured mine with matcha green tea this time (hence the green colour), but feel free to omit it or replace it with other flavours like chocolate/cinnamon/etc if you want! :)





Recipe


  • 2 thick slices of bread (preferably old, dry bread so it can absorb more flavour but fresh bread works too!)
  • 1 medium ripe/overripe banana (the insides should be soft, skin should be spotty)
  • 1/2 - 3/4 c milk of choice (I used soy)
  • 1 tbsp maple syrup or other sweetener of choice (use more/less to taste)
  • 1 tsp matcha green tea powder (optional)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp flax/chia seeds
  • toppings of choice

Method


  1. To make the batter: blend banana, sweetener, 1/2 c milk, vanilla, matcha (if using), and seeds until smooth in a blender. Batter should have a pourable-consistency, if too thick, blend with more milk until it reaches the perfect consistency.
  2. Pour the batter into a shallow dish/container to soak your bread. Soak both slices of bread in the batter (flip a few times to ensure both sides are evenly soaked up) while you preheat your pan. You might have leftover batter (especially if you use very small bread slices), so finish the batter with more bread.
  3. Heat a greased pan over medium-low heat. When the pan is hot enough, put the soaked bread slices on the pan. Flip when the bottom is already golden-brown (take a peek by lifting the bread with a spatula after a few minutes). Cook until both sides are golden-brown and cooked through. 
  4. Serve on a plate with your favourite toppings! I topped mine with coconut cream, strawberries, chopped pistachios, and sprinklings of matcha powder to make it pretty!





1 comment:

  1. Thanks- I can't wait to try this! I never really liked 'eggy' french toast either- but anything with bananas and matcha in and I'm sold!

    ReplyDelete