Look at THAT colour!
Nope, I did not use any food colouring at all. Sometimes I wonder why people use artificial *chemical* colourings on food when they can get such pretty colours from natural, nutritious, whole foods (example, red: beets, yellow: turmeric, etc).
For this I used spirulina powder, which gives it that vivid blue-green colour and of course, TONS of nutrients. Spirulina is actually a blue green algae and it has all the essential amino acids! (aka complete protein).
Okay, so now to the ice cream. If you look at the picture, you might be wondering, "How can this girl eat ice cream for breakfast?" The answer is, the ice cream is made from bananas. It's banana ice cream! And it's delicious.
- around 6-7 frozen bananas
- a bit of water to help it blend
- 2 tbsp coconut nectar/maple syrup/brown rice syrup/other sweetener
- about 1-2 tsp spirulina*
- 1 - 2 drops peppermint essential oil *optional but yummy
- toppings of your choice
- Process everything in a high speed blender or food processor (do not attempt this using a regular blender), adding a bit of water to help it blend, but don't add too much or it will turn into a smoothie!
- Watch your bananas magically transform into a super creamy, soft serve ice cream deliciousness! Scoop into a bowl, top with any toppings that you like, dive in!
*the more you use, the darker the color will be, I recommend you start with smaller quantities to get used to it first! And make sure you use a good quality one because 'cheap' ones taste fishy/gross and the colour is muddy-green! :)